Business and political leaders along with volunteer firemen gathered at one of the busiest places in Dunkirk Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 27 to hail the โ€œKing.โ€ Southern Marylandโ€™s newest Burger King opened last week in the north Calvert town. The Calvert County Commissioners presided over a ribbon-cutting ceremony and offered their wishes for success.

Commissioner Evan K. Slaughenhoupt Jr. [R], a Dunkirk resident, congratulated the duo who own and operate seven other Burger King restaurants in Southern Maryland. Slaughenhoupt noted Tom Saia Jr. and Bill Neblett are hoping to identify another Burger King location in Calvert.

โ€œYou give me the zoning and Iโ€™ll open it,โ€ Neblett shouted.

โ€œIt only took us 34 years to get here,โ€ Saia joked.

Later, Saia explained that the partners would like to find a location in Prince Frederick for another Burger King. One issue that has dogged their efforts has been Calvertโ€™s regulations on drive-up windows.

The Dunkirk Burger King is located in a building on a pad site previously occupied by Arbyโ€™s. When that store closed, the property owners, Marrick Properties, sought a name-brand chain to take over occupancy.

โ€œWe looked for someone with real credibility,โ€ said Rick Bailey of Marrick.

โ€œWe did the demographics, we believe thereโ€™s a need here,โ€ said Saia.

As for converting the Arbyโ€™s into a Burger King, Saia remarked, โ€œWe certainly had to work within the constraints.โ€

Sporting a shirt that read โ€œThe King has Arrived,โ€ Saia, with large scissors in hand, cut the ceremonial ribbon.

Whether it was by coincidence or design, when the ribbon was finally chopped in half, the sirens on the trucks from the Dunkirk Volunteer Fire Department sounded, signaling in a new era of quick service food for Calvertโ€™s northern area.

Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com

ย