
PRINCE FREDERICK, Md. โ A Hughesville man faces an arson threat charge after authorities said he allegedly damaged medical equipment during a hospital stay and threatened to burn down Calvert Health Medical Center. Simeon Abiola, 30, of Hughesville, reportedly made multiple threats to return to the hospital after discharge and destroy the facility, according to charging documents.
Calvert County sheriffโs deputies responded to Calvert Health Medical Center on Hospital Road around 10:33 a.m. on Oct. 2, 2025, for a report of property damage. Court records show Abiola had been admitted to the hospital for evaluation between Aug. 30 and Oct. 2, 2025.
Hospital personnel told investigators that during the admission period, Abiola allegedly caused about $10,000 in damage to assorted medical equipment belonging to the hospital. Staff reported that Abiola made statements while walking around the facility saying he was going to destroy random items throughout the building. Court filings allege he stated, โThis is why Iโm here, to destroy things.โ
Authorities said multiple staff members reported that Abiola made verbal threats to return to the hospital after being discharged and โburn the hospital down.โ The alleged threats were reportedly made several times to different employees. Documents note Abiola was scheduled for discharge on Oct. 3, 2025.
Hospital staff told investigators that Abiola had described himself as having military combat medic training. Court filings indicate authorities considered the seriousness of the threats, combined with the reported military training, when seeking an arrest warrant.
Judge Louis Oertly issued an arrest warrant for Abiola on Oct. 2, 2025. Documents show the warrant was served the same day while Abiola remained at the medical facility. Court records indicate deputies activated body-worn cameras during the investigation.
Abiola faces one count of arson threat, a misdemeanor carrying a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a $5,000 fine if convicted. Court documents note the probable cause statement referenced possible additional charges, including threat of mass violence and malicious destruction of property valued at $1,000 or more, though only the arson threat charge appears in current filings.
Abiola was released on personal recognizance following his initial appearance on Oct. 2, 2025. Court records show he initially waived his right to an attorney but was later determined eligible for public defender representation. The Calvert County Public Defenderโs Office entered an appearance on his behalf on Oct. 3, 2025. Documents show defense counsel filed motions for a speedy trial and discovery inspection the same day.
A trial is scheduled for Jan. 5, 2026, at 1 p.m. in Calvert County District Court. All proceedings will take place in Prince Frederick. The Stateโs Attorneyโs Office for Calvert County is prosecuting the case.
Got a tip or photo? Text us at 888-871-NEWS (6397) or email news@thebaynet.com.
Join The BayNet Membership for exclusive perks and zero ads.
Donโt miss a storyโsign up for our newsletter!


